Peanut butter and jelly, steak and potatoes, Abbott and Costello…some things are just better together! That’s also the case when dentures and dental implants join forces. You do not need a dedicated implant for each tooth you intend to receive. Implant dentures are usually held in place with 4-6 implants, and each one integrates with your existing bone and gum tissue to ensure a long-lasting fit. Keep reading to learn if you are a candidate, discover their benefits, and find out what it’s like adjusting to implant dentures in Waco.
What Should I Expect About the Adjustment Period for Implant Dentures?
- Eating: Be sure to stick to soft foods and limit chewing while they heal. By the time your mouth has fully recovered, you will be acclimated to eating with dentures so shifting to crunchy or chewy foods won’t be a big adjustment. Drinking plenty of water and limiting sugar consumption are both great advice for denture wearers.
- Speaking: Because of the secure fit you get, many patients don’t experience an adjustment period when it comes to speaking. In fact, implant dentures can help patients who suffer from tooth loss speak more clearly and with the confidence of knowing their dentures are firmly in place. If needed, just practice chatting at your house to your loved ones until you get more comfortable.
- Hygiene: Good oral hygiene practices are a great way to set up your implant dentures for success. This means consistent brushing, flossing, and rinsing with mouthwash as often as your dentist recommends. Even though tooth decay is no longer a risk, you need to protect yourself from gum disease.
What Are Advantages to Having Implant Dentures?
There are several reasons why deciding on implant dentures can make life a little easier:
- You do not have to worry about your implant shifting out of place.
- You do not need to rely on denture adhesive.
- Dental implants make it easier to enjoy the foods you love and speak with clarity.
- Implants are made to have a lifespan of more than 25 years, but they can last a lifetime when well-placed by a professional.
- Enjoy improved oral health due to ease of maintenance in keeping gum disease away.
What Makes Me a Candidate for Implant Dentures?
To be eligible for implant dentures, you need to have good oral health, healthy gum tissue, and sufficient bone volume for implants to integrate with. If you are missing several teeth and you’d prefer not to use a traditional denture, you’re tired of using your current denture, or you don’t want to regularly repair and replace them, then implant dentures might be right for you.
If they sound like a good match, you are going to be set up for decades with a low-maintenance, winning smile! Be sure to sit down with your dentist in Waco to get confirmation they think implant dentures are the best long-term call for you.
About the Practice
At Heart of Texas Smiles General & Cosmetic Dentistry, we value preventive care and patient education to help you achieve optimal dental health. We are diligent about continuing education courses to stay current in the ever-evolving dental field. It is very important that we earn your trust, and you expect a positive experience during every office visit. If you are interested in implant dentures, they offer a 95 percent success rate to last for decades and enable you to regain up to 70 percent of your biting force. You can schedule a consultation on our website or by calling (254) 776-3310.